Bahamas Weddings: Get Married in the Bahamas
- Both parties must be in the Bahamas at the time of the application.
- Persons wishing to be married in the The Bahamas may do so after one day, i.e. if a person arrives in The Bahamas on Monday, they may come into the Registrar General Office on Tuesday, obtain a Marriage License (while waiting), and be married on the same day.
- If either part has been divorced, the original final decree or a certified copy must be produced. If either party is widowed, being certified of the deceased spouse must be produced. If either party is unmarried, being a citizen or resident of the U.S.A., a declaration certifying this fact must be sworn before a U.S. Consul at the American Embassy, Nassau, The Bahamas.
- If either party is unmarried, being a citizen or resident of a country other than the U.S.A., a declaration certifying this fact must be sworn before a Notary Public or other person authorized to administer oaths in that country and must accompany the application for the marriage License.
- The parties must produce some form of government identification which has a photograph attached. The identification document must have been issued by a Government Office in the country where the parties reside.
- The parties must produce evidence of the date of their arrival in The Bahamas, i.e. plane ticket.
- Persons desirous of being married in a family Islands (any Island outside of New Providence) can obtain a Marriage License at the Commissioners’ Office on that Island and need not come to Nassau.
- No blood test is necessary.
Here are some of the fees (Bahamian or U.S.) you may expect, though prices vary with reputation and the quality of the service:
- Government License Fee: $100
- Minister: Weekdays $150; Weekends $175; Rehearsals/off-island marriages $50 per hour.
- Photography: $300 per hour (color or black & white, 36 exposures, negatives & album). Additional time $85 per hour including an additional 36 exposures with negatives. Digital pho
- Video: $350 per hour including editing.
- Site Fees: can range from free (as part of a package) to $3000 and up.
- Departure Tax: $18
Bahamas Wedding FAQ
- Do I need a license to get married in The Islands Of The Bahamas? Yes, a Bahamian marriage license is required.
- Is there a fee for the marriage license? Yes, there is a fee of $100 payable to the Registrar General of the Bahamas.
- Is a blood test required? No, a blood test is not required.
- Can my priest perform the wedding ceremony? No, however your priest may assist the local priest with the wedding ceremony.
- Can I get married the same day as my arrival in The Islands Of The Bahamas? No, both parties must have resided in The Commonwealth of The Bahamas for not less than one day prior to the date of the application.
- Can I apply for a marriage license by mail? No, both parties must be in The Commonwealth of The Bahamas at the time of the application.
- I would like to get married in the Family Islands; do I need to come to Nassau for a marriage license? No, you can obtain a marriage license at the Commissioner’s office on that island.
- Can I get married on the weekend? Yes, you can get married on Saturday or Sunday, provided you make application during the working days of Thursday or Friday.
- Would my marriage license be legal in my country? Yes, the Bahamas marriage license is a legal document issued by the Bahamas government.